Friday, May 02, 2008

Stuffed zucchini


This recipe is one of Jonathan's favorites. I adapted it from a recipe I used to make in Senegal. It doesn't take long and makes a great lunch treat.

2 medium-sized zuchini, rinsed
1 small can tomato paste
Italian seasoning (basil, oregano, thyme)
2-3 cloves crushed garlic
2 rounds of soft goat cheese
OR 1/2 cup fromage en faiselle
OR 1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup cheese for topping (I use Gouda, but Cheddar or Colby would work well)
olive oil



Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the white pulp and seeds. Get as much as you can, leaving a hollowed-out 'zucchini canoe'. Rub the canoes lightly with olive oil. Place them on a plate and microwave on high 3-4 minutes or until softened. Check every two minutes to be sure they don't dry out or overcook (look wilted).



Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add a little olive oil then cook the pulp and garlic, stirring often. Once soft and light green, add Italian seasonings to taste (I use just under 1 tsp of the mix).



Add the can of tomato paste and mix well. Remove from heat and stir in goat cheese, fromage en faiselle or cottage cheese. Fill the canoes with the tomato mixture. Top with cheese and broil under browned.

2 comments:

Mark, Kendra, and Evan said...

I was logging on to look at the popcorn recipe you told me about, and I found this! This looks sooooooooooooooooooo good! My goodness! If you look at the last five recipe postings on this blog, you will have our menus for dinner for the coming week, starting with the pizza tonight!

Thanks for taking me all 'round the Guillotiere today! My shelves are now smiling back at me, nice and full. As soon as I got home, I paired the cilantro with a burrito and went to heaven.

Stephanie said...

Girl- I was browsing your recipe blog for the very first time the other day, and I love it, b/c I love to cook, too.
Anyways, I have lots of fresh zucchini coming out of my garden right now, and am looking for fun new ways to cook with it. Then I saw this recipe, which looked awesome.
So, I made it tonight and LOVED it! I used cottage cheese, and it was fabulous! I will have to mention it on my blog when I do my little weekly garden spot. Thanks! I LOVED having the pictures of the process, since I'd never made it before.
Will be checking this blog often!
Love reading your regular blog, too.
Stephanie Lyon