Friday, June 06, 2008

Garden of Eden bran muffins


This recipe revamps boring old bran muffins, giving them a lightness (buttermilk batter) and natural sweetness (figs and apple).

1 1/4 cups flour
1 1/4 cups wheat bran
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 cup buttermilk*
1 tsp vanilla
1 apple, chopped
6-8 dried figs, cut into small pieces (size of raisins)

In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients.

In a second bowl, beat eggs. Add oil, buttermilk and vanilla, mixing well.

Pour wet into dry and mix until just blended. Stir in fruit. Spoon batter into muffin tins lined with paper baking cups, filling 3/4 full.

Bake in preheated oven at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a sharp knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before serving. Store in an airtight container. These muffins freeze well for a breakfast or snack on the run.

To make buttermilk: 1 cup milk + 1 Tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice. Microwave on low for 15-30 seconds.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I have been wanting to make bran muffins for several weeks now, and this one looks great! Someone else gave me a recipe, but I was feeling adventurous and combined the two. We shall see how they turn out...they are in the oven now (fingers crossed!). I pretty much defaulted to your recipe, but some alterations made were the addition of applesauce, honey, and flax. I think I might need to tweak my combined recipe b/c I am thinking the batter looked a bit "wet". Thanks for sharing!!