Sunday, June 10, 2007

'Sun' dried tomatoes



I decided to try making my own sun-dried tomatoes after seeing how much a jar costs at the store - and the fact that the store variety are packed in oil. Why add fat to such a great flavor?

The instructions I used recommended plum tomatoes, but I just went for the least expensive pile and picked out the darkest red ones. My selection of 8 medium-sized tomatoes (about $2) dried down to about 1 cup in the end. A jar of that size is about $4.50 here, so not a bad deal. Plus - no oil!

On the downside, it is time-consuming. Preparing them takes a minute or two, but they need to dry for 6-8 hours.



Instructions:

Wash and dry your tomatoes.

Slice into 1/2 inch thick rounds.

Place on a baking sheet.

Bake at 200 degrees, flipping every hour or so, until the texture of soft raisins.

The slices on the outside may dry first. Just pull them out and let the others keep drying.

Store in airtight container in the fridge.

No comments: