Monday, August 24, 2009

Summer vegetable salad


Inspired by this article on raw vegetable salads and a craving for Greek salad, this is what I wound up with. Big fan. I love vegetables and salads, but am not actually a huge lettuce lover. So the raw vegetable salad is my perfect match. And I ate a lot of it this summer!

The original post I read suggested mixing:

- four different vegetables you’d eat raw (corn, tomatoes, cucumbers, fennel, carrots, radishes, cabbage, radicchio, endive, sweet or green onions)

- cheese (feta, mozzarella, Swiss, cubed parmesan) and / or toasted nut or seed (pecans, almonds, pine nuts)

- simple vinaigrette

- chopped fresh herbs (parsley, marjoram, chives, thyme)


So I went to the fridge and herb garden and here's what I came up with. (I think the mint really made the difference.)

2 plum tomatoes, chopped
1/3 English cucumber, chopped
1 ear of sweet corn kernels cut off the cob
mint leaves, snipped
basil leaves, snipped
1-2 tsp vinaigrette
1/2 small round of semi-firm goat cheese, crumbled

Toss all together and dig in. Go light on the vinaigrette. It's just a flavor binder, not an actual dressing - and you can always add more.

1 comment:

Mark, Kendra, and Evan said...

mmmm...love this type of salad! next step is to wrap it in some pita bread and eat it like a taco!