Saturday, October 21, 2006
Adapted from the famous red and white checkered Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook
1. Mix the following and let marinate 30 minutes:
1 pound boneless pork shoulder or country style ribs, cut in small cubes
2 Tbsp mirin or dry sherry
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame seed oil (or 1 tsp sesame seeds sauteed in a few drops of oil)
2. Heat 1 cup oil over med-high heat in a saucepan.
3. Pat the pork dry, then dredge through the following mixture:
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup chicken broth
4. Fry pork pieces in oil, 4-5 minutes or until no pink left. Keep warm.
5. Microwave the following on high for 3 minutes, or until crisp-tender:
3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
2-3 Tbsp water
6. Whisk the following, then cook until bubbly and thickened over med-high heat:
1 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1 Tbsp soy sauce
7. Add 1 cup drained pineapple to sauce. Add vegetables and pork.
8. Serve over hot rice.