Friday, November 06, 2009

Guatamalan baked sweet plantains


I grew up eating plantains as a savory starch, but many cultures like them sweet. This recipe is from Guatamala.

4 very ripe plantains, black and even a little moldy is good!
1 tsp oil
4 Tbsp brown sugar
cinnamon (opt)

Preheat your oven to 450° F. Oil a baking dish.

Cut the ends off of your plantains and peel them. Cut each on the diagnonal into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange in a single layer in baking dish and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.

Bake for about 10-15 minutes, until the plantains are golden brown and very tender. Careful - they'll be very hot!


2 comments:

Tina @ Girl Meets Globe said...

I've always wanted to try plantains, but haven't been adventurous enough. This sounds good!!

kpjordan said...

Kari,
I had to look up your apple tartin (sic?) recipe to verify directions. And then I see all your new recipes...the photos. Oh my goodness! You should publish a book on food with all the fabulous photos. May I pick out my favorites and ask you to prepare them for us when you come "home"? You are one talented cook!!!